4.20.2012

In Portland, Still No Turning Back

I'm writing this from the Judges Chambers at the Oregon Convention Center in Portland during the 41st competitor, Greg Lefcourt of OZO Coffee Company, of the SCAA 2012 USBC.  He's out there making three rounds of drinks in 15 minutes.  That's a total of 12 drinks---3 espressos, 3 cappuccinos, + 3 signature beverages, all while their soundtrack is playing, and 2 technical judges, 4 sensory judges, and 1 head judge monitor their motions and words.

Heather Ringwood, WBC certified judge and employee of Batdorf & Bronson, asked me if the USBC was any different from the regionals, a question which sums up my experience here.  I responded with a simple answer: "The competitors are tighter, and I walk around seeing all sorts of famous people."  Not 'famous' in the movie/music/sports/tv sense, but in the coffee world.  Everybody is here and it is such an invigorating feeling to see such a large number of people dedicated to moving coffee culture and business forward.  I will be bringing a lot of new ideas---and a bunch of swag from the convention floor---home to Rev and hope that you will enjoy the changes, adaptations, and betterings (is that a word?) that will happen.

I will update more tonight... but coffee people drink coffee in the morning, and all sorts of yummy booze at night, so I don't promise sense in my words.

No comments :